Monday, February 2, 2009

SGK 3-Day....Walking 60 Miles in 3 Days!!!!!

As you can tell by the name of my blog, my wife Jennifer is very important to me!!! She is a breast cancer survivor for almost four years now. She has always been my inspiration and joy......the giver of 2 beautiful children....the rock that I lean on........and My Best Friend!!!

2005-2006 was a hard time for us. For those that do not know, Jen was diagnosed with breast cancer in May of 2005 while in the midst of getting ready to move to Pennsylvania for a new job that I had accepted. Needless to say that all plans were put on hold while Jen went through chemotherapy and I went to PA to start my new job. I felt horrible for leaving my wife and children when they needed me most. I have had many tell me that I did what I had to do in order to support my family, and I appreciate their kindness......but deep down it still gets to me. I would fly home on weekends, and did so for a year, only to have to leave after what seemed like to short a time with my family. It was absolutely horrible!!

Now I have an opportunity, at least in my mind, to sort of make up for not being there for Jenni. We have talked about this 3-day 60 mile walk for a few years now, but it seemed like she was always struggling with some side-effect or another procedure due to her cancer that kept us from taking it seriously.....unitl this year. Jen is doing so much better than even last year. She still struggles with side-effects, aches and pains, but I will tell you I married one heck of a strong woman!!! We started talking about this 3-Day event at Christmas and she was very optimistic about being able to do it. We continued our talks and decided that we would go for it!! We both had reservations about the amount of money that you are required to raise ($2,300 each), but figured that we would do our best and if we made it...great...and if not, at least the money would go to the charity that is trying to eliminate what Jen suffered through.

So here we are....we went to the meeting on Saturday and each of us signed up to participate in this fantastic event. I finally have a chance to be with Jen as she goes through this tough walk....to help her in anyway that I can or that I wanted to while I sat in my PA hotel room after work.....to offer her encouragement while I walk next to her rather than over the phone from Pennsylvania to Arkansas.....to be there for her to cry on my shoulder rather than crying into her pillow at night when I was not there.

We will be training for this event starting now.....60 miles is a long way!!!

If you can help me out with my donation requirement, I would greatly appreciate it!!

Help me reach my goal for the Philadelphia Breast Cancer 3-Day!



2 comments:

Gretchen said...

You and your wife have my utmost respect and admiration. Every blister, every ache, every training moment is worth it. Millions of times over. God bless you both--and how cool that you're doing it together.

Shauna said...

Oh sheesh, I'm in tears now, and I have to lead worship practice in a few minutes. :-)

You and Jen - and your beautiful, special, treasure of a relationship - are an inspiration to everyone who has had the opportunity to know you, whether in-the-flesh or via blogland. I'll be praying for you both and sending in a little financial support as well.